Friends of the Spokane Public Library
An all-volunteer group dedicated to funding special projects for the library.
We are proud to provide the library over $40,000 in support annually.
- Support Summer Reading for kids and teens with programs and book giveaways
- Support the Spokane Is Reading program, which brings a different author to town each year
- Make special equipment purchases (recent examples include AWE Early Learning Computer Stations for young children)
- Support staff training
- And more!
We invite everyone to become a Friend of the Spokane Public Library!
Buy the Book
Starting in May, the Friends’ bookstore will be located at the South Hill, Eastside, Hillyard and Indian Trail branches of the Library
We sell used materials at great prices:
- $1.00 hardback and trade paperback
- $.50 mass-market paperback
- Certain items priced-as-marked
Stop by and check out the selection!
Please remember the store is staffed by volunteers so hours are dependent on their availability. If you are interested in volunteering please contact the library at 444-5347.
Donate used books, CDs, or DVDs
The Friends of the Library accepts donations of used books, CDs, and DVDs in good condition. We accept donations at the South Hill, Indian Trail, Hillyard and Eastside branches of the Library. If you have 4 boxes or more, please call 444-5347 to arrange delivery
Please note what we can and cannot accepted:
Materials NOT accepted: NO damaged materials of any kind, NO textbooks, NO magazines, NO condensed books, NO personally-recorded videos, CDs or DVDs, NO VHS cassettes or eight-track tapes. NO loose-leaf items.Donations of these items cannot be added to the library’s collection and do not sell through the Friends; they end up costing the library money since we have to discard them at our expense.
Annual book sales
The Friends of the Library support hold annual book sales in support of their fundraising efforts, typically in the spring and fall.
Save the Date! Summer book sale at the South Hill branch Friday, August 28th – 30th!
Become a Friend of the Library
Contribute to the quality and success of library programs and services!
How do I become a Friend of the Library?
Pick up a membership application at one of the libraries or come to one of the book sales where you can become a member on the spot.
- Individual memberships are $10 annually (calendar year)
- Family memberships are $15 annually (calendar year)
- Donations in greater amounts are welcome!
What are the benefits of becoming a Friend of the Library?
- Your contribution is 100% tax-deductible
- Early admission to the annual Friends of the Library book sales
- You become a vital connection between the Library and the community
- You contribute to the quality of Library programs and services
How else can I contribute?
- Through your tax-deductible monetary contribution
- Through volunteering to help out with fundraising or other special projects
Volunteer with the Friends of the Library
Support the library, make some new Friends!
If you are interested in volunteering with the Friends of the Library please use this Volunteer Application for the Friends.
Completed forms may be turned in at the book store or at the Library’s administrative offices.
Opportunities with the Friends include:
- Book Sales
- Friends of the Library Board